Machine to Machine (M2M), Internet of Things (IoT)
Machine to machine (M2M) is a broad label that can be used to describe any technology that enables networked devices to exchange information and perform actions without the manual assistance of humans.
M2M is often used for remote monitoring. In product restocking, for example, a vending machine can message the distributor when a particular item is running low, also a smart cabinet RFID enabled avoids theft and monitors hospital-critical supplies. M2M communication is an important aspect of warehouse management, remote control, robotics, traffic control, logistic services, supply chain management, fleet management and telemedicine. M2M forms the basis for a concept known as the Internet of Things (IoT).
For manufacturers, intelligence acquired from connected products drives new revenue streams and product innovation
Key solution components
There are 3 main components of an M2M solution are:
- Sensors and actuators to interact with the phisical world. An autonomic computing software programmed to help a networked device interpret data and make decisions. This piece of software runs on the same electronic device that has sensors and actuators.
- A low cost network, tipically Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cellular communications link. Most telecom operators has special tarifs and provisioning tools for M2M applications and at Tracktio, we are partners of several of them.
- A centralized application for remote management, analytics and business intelligence (local server or cloud service).
The Internet and improved standards for wireless technology have expanded the role of telemetry from pure science, engineering and manufacturing to everyday use in products like home heating units, electric meters and Internet-connected appliances. Products built with M2M communication capabilities are often marketed to end users as being “smart.”
- Data Management,
- Application Enablement Services
- Connected Machine Management.
You can upgrade your machines to be ‘smart’ with Tracktio
Going beyond M2M, there is The Internet of Things (IoT) a new paradigm of increasing the connectedness of people and things on a large scale. The pace of IoT market adoption is accelerating because of four factors:
- Availability of low priced and high performance electronics for sensors and actuators
- Growth and affordability in analytics and cloud computing tools
- M2M communications provided by telecom operators are ubiquitous and right priced.
- Customer’s demand to innovate at low cost, create new business models and the proliferation of connecting supply chains, partners, and customers
Tracktio Machine to Machine architecture holds strong synergies with other complementary solutions. The core intelligent element is Tracksphere suite of software modules, and the embedded I/O Agent running on standard and affordable sensors/actuators electronics.
Now Is the Machine to Machine Time
The opportunities presented by M2M and Internet of Things far outweigh the challenges if managed with the right partner. The connection of devices, machines, and things allows you to dynamically generate, analyze, and communicate intelligence data, increase operational eficiencies, and power new and greatly improved business models.
Do you have a new project or business idea that you would like to discuss with us ? We can help you design the whole project
Please send an email to email@example.com and we will be back to you